Well here it is everyone, the one you’ve all been asking for…
Best Butter Cake Recipe
This is the recipe I use for all my shaped cakes and any that need to take any weight.
It’s also my go to vanilla cupcake recipe.
It’s not too sweet and dense enough to carve while still being light enough to be an enjoyable mouthful.
- 400g caster sugar
- 400g salted butter (soften first)
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g self-raising flour
- mixer, paddle attachment & bowl
- another mixing bowl
- metal spoon
- baking paper
- 2 x 20cm round baking tins
- wooden skewer
- wire cooling rack
- Set the oven to 200°C and line the base of the two baking tins with the baking paper
- Cream the butter and sugar together using the mixer until they are pale and fluffy. This can take 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the creamed mixture one at a time and mix well between each addition.
- When you get to the fifth egg, add a spoonful of flour with each egg before mixing. This will help prevent curdling.
- Add the vanilla extract once all the eggs have been added & mixed in.
- Mix the rest of the flour in with the metal spoon, not the mixer. This prevents overmixing and will keep your cake tender when it’s baked.
- Split the cake mix evenly between the two baking tins.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, checking to see if the cake is done using a wooden skewer poked into the centre (which will come out clean if the cake is fully baked).
- Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack
This cake can be wrapped in cling film and stored in the fridge for up to a week.
If you are going to carve this cake into a shape you should leave it for 24 hours, wrapped in cling film, before doing so to allow the cake crumb to ‘set’.